Presenting his maiden Budget in Lok Sabha on Thursday, Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu said investment in railways is necessary for environment sustainability and well-being of the future generations.
“Kuch naya jodna hoga, kuch purana todna hoga, kuch engine badalne honge, kuch repair karne honge (Some new things have to be added, some old things must be junked, some engines will be changed, some to be repaired),” Prabhu said.
“These objectives will ensure the Railway is an integral part of flagship programs launched by PM Modi,” the Railway Minister said.
Here are the key goals and drivers Prabhu mentioned in his speech:
1. Ensure passenger convenience
2. Make Railways a safer means of travel
3. Expand substantially and modernise
4. Make Railways financially self-sustainable
1. Address short-term priorities
2. Make Railways the backbone of connectivity
3. Need to tap various sources of funding