Lashing out at Centre in the wake of Pathankot terror attack, Opposition parties stepped up attacks on government’s handling of ties with Pakistan.
Congress on Tuesday condemned the the airbase terror attack and asked Prime Minister Narendra Modi to explain the outcome of his Lahore visit and re-starting the talks with Pakistan government. Senior Congress leader Anand Sharma said, “Pathankot attack is an attack on the country and on humanity and it cannot be termed as a small incident.” He also asked PM Modi to take the Opposition in confidence on engaging the neighboring country.
Attending a press-conference today, Sharma said, “PM must tell us the outcome of his Lahore visit. He should also explain on what basis did he say that there’s an atmosphere to start talks with Pakistan. While we support dialogue, we want to make it clear that our security and integrity are non-negotiable.
At the press-conference, Sharma posted five questions to Modi. They are as follow:
- 1.Last year, after the NSA -level talks were cancelled, what was the understanding reached between NSA Ajit Doval and his Pakistan counterpart in Bangkok?
- The then UPA’s Prime Minister Manmohan Singh did not visit Pakistan during his regime because the latter did not honour its promises. What assurances were received by PM Modi which prompted his visit to Lahore?
- During his sudden visit to Lahore on December 25, the National Security Advisor of Pakistan was conspicuously absent. Was PM Modi doubtful about it?
- Does PM Modi believe that Pakistani establishment, including their Army and ISI are for the dialogue process? What assured the Prime Minister that the resumption of peace process has the full support and endorsement of entire Pakistani establishment?
- We sought the Pakistan government to take severe action against 26/11 mastermind and Lashkar-e-Taiba commander Lakhvi. What progress has been made in the case so far?
Sharma also raised questions on the functioning of NSA and said, “the NSA task is to alert the security department and they should do their job properly so that the country is not ashamed before its citizen.