Formula1

Formula 1 news

Lewis Hamilton wins fifth British GP

Lewis Hamilton won his home British Grand Prix for the fourth year in a row on Sunday while Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel suffered a penultimate lap puncture that slashed his championship lead to a single point. The Briton’s drive from pole to flag on an overcast afternoon was lonely, uneventful and dominant with Mercedes team mate Valtteri Bottas finishing 14 seconds behind to secure the one-two. Vettel, who had battled on

New car will make Ferrari stronger in 2016, says Sebastian Vettel

Four-time Formula One world champion Sebastian Vettel believes Ferrari will be “even stronger” than last year following the launch of its new SF16-H car for the 2016 season. The team is looking to challenge Mercedes after finishing second in the 2015 constructors’ championship. Vettel won three races in his debut season with Ferrari but finished third in the drivers’ competition. “We had a fantastic year last year and we all

German Rookie Pascal Wehrlein Joins Manor F1 Team For 2016

German driver Pascal Wehrlein will make his Formula One debut in 2016 after taking the first of two vacant seats at the Manor team. The 21-year-old is the reigning DTM German Touring Car champion and was Mercedes’ test driver last season. Wehrlein has signed a one-year deal with Manor, who have recently started an engine partnership with Mercedes. The other seat is still up for grabs with Alexander Rossi and

Bernie Ecclestone supports drivers' demand for `maximum attack` tyres

Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone has thrown his support behind drivers’ demand that the sport should bring in higher-performance tyres. Earlier, Grand Prix Drivers’ Association chairman Alexander Wurz had disclosed that racers wanted tyre supplier Pirelli to supply them with tyres that will support ‘maximum-attack’ racing. The F1 Supremo always defended Pirelli’s heavily-degrading tyres, saying that it is good for the ‘show’. However, Ecclestone hinted a re-think in his approach

F1 may never see a female racer again: Bernie Ecclestone

Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone on Thursday expressed his doubt that the sport may never see a female racer again, saying even if there was somebody that was capable they wouldn’t be taken seriously. In an interview on the Canadian network TSN, Ecclestone told “I doubt it. If there was somebody that was capable they wouldn’t be taken seriously anyway, so they would never have a car that is capable

Pastor Maldonado's F1 future shrouded in speculation

Formula One driver Pastor Maldonado`s future at the Renault-owned Lotus team was called into question on Wednesday amid speculation about his funding from Venezuelan state-owned oil company PDVSA. The BBC, citing unnamed sources, reported that substantial sponsorship money from PDVSA was several weeks overdue and Maldonado`s seat was at risk. Danish driver Kevin Magnussen, the 23-year-old who was released by McLaren last October after an impressive 2014 debut, has also been

F1's first ever female driver, Maria Teresa de Filippis passes away

Maria Teresa de Filippis, best known as Formula 1’s first ever female driver, passed away at the age of 89 on Saturday. The Italian started in three Grands Prix in 1958 with her only finish coming at her debut at Spa in Belgium where she was the last classified finisher in 10th. Earlier that year she had failed to qualify her Maserati 250F in Monaco and again failed to make

Michael Schumacher's son to sign deal with Ferrari-linked team: Report

Record seven-time Formula One world champion Michael Schumacher’s son Mick is reportedly set to sign a deal with a Ferrari-linked Italian junior team Prema. Sabine Kehm, Mick’s manager, is currently in talks with Prema after the teenager expressed his desire to contest in the Italian series, claimed Sport24. Prema founder Angelo Rosin also confirmed the news by saying that they would hold a meeting with Mick this month. Mick made his

Fernando Alonso a ''time bomb'' waiting to explode, says Mark Webber

Fernando Alonso is a time bomb waiting to explode as McLaren could discover next season if their car remains noncompetitive, according to the Spaniard`s friend and former Formula One rival Mark Webber. “It looks like between the pair of them (Alonso and McLaren), there obviously something happening,” the Australian told Reuters at the season-ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix on Sunday. McLaren boss Ron Dennis mentioned on Saturday the possibility of

US Grand Prix will happen, says Bernie Ecclestone

Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone expects next year`s U.S. Grand Prix in Austin to go ahead, despite lingering doubts about state funding, but is less certain about the sport finding new owners in the near future. “It will be (on), for sure, they will sort their finances out,” the 85-year-old said in a wide-ranging post-season interview with Sky Sports television. The Oct. 23 race in Texas, the only round in

Mika Hakkinen believes Fernando Alonso should not take one-year sabbatical from F1

Former Formula One world champion Mika Hakkinen of Finland says that giving Spanish driver Fernando Alonso a one-year sabbatical is “not a good idea”. Hakkinen’s statements came after McLaren CEO Ron Dennis hinted at the possibility of giving Alonso a break for one year until the end of the preparations to get the team’s vehicle ready for competitions, reports Efe. Alonso had previously confirmed that he will participate in next

Fernando Alonso calls F1 less 'fun' than other motorsports

McLaren driver Fernando Alonso has slammed Formula One, describing it as less ‘fun’ compared to other motorsport racing events such as World Endurance Championship and MotoGP. Questioning the consistency of in-race penalties, Alonso said that he had never seen such kind of things in any other categories of the race. Suggesting ways to improve the F1 race, the 34-year-old said that there was an immediate need to bring some consistency