An alert consumer discover available alert rules, registers itself as consumer for the rules, and retrieves the alerts intended for it from the corresponding local store of an Alert Engine. The consumer can use the information contained in the alert to notify administrators and other users, so that the latter can review the error and fix it. Depending on the alert consumer you use, you might be able to configure the alert collection frequency, as well as when and how the users should receive notifications.
To obtain alerts, an alert consumer have to do the following:
1. Connect to Integration Directory and obtain information about alert rules stored there.
The alert consumer must connect to the Integration Directory running on the central system in your PI domain. This system is the place where you create and configure the alert rules.
2. Actively subscribe to the alert rules for which it should receive alerts.
The subscription process is initiated and driven by the alert consumer. You should not subscribe consumers when configuring alert rules.
3. Actively connect to the runtime components and retrieve alerts.
Choosing a Consumer
You can use one or more of the following consumers:
- When you have SAP Solution Manager available in your landscape, you can use it as an alert consumer. We recommend using this consumer since it provides a rich set of configuration options for managing notifications.
- You can use the simple local alert consumer that sends notifications via e-mail or SMS.
- You can develop your own alert consumer that meets your requirements.
- You can use a third-party solution for consuming the alerts.